Monday, August 6, 2007

August 6, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad! Hard to believe it, another year. Even harder to believe, I actually sent a card in the mail! I know, I know, and hell hasn't even froze over!




And when will Wake County wake up?!?! Its unbridled growth is a burden on the infrastructure and all the benefits that are drawing people to the area - except for the low taxes, they are still low. Too low, if you ask me. I am a resident of Wake County, and yes, I want higher taxes! It may not make sense, but let me explain.


  1. As a teacher, I see higher taxes as providing the necessary funds for building, maintaining, and upgrading schools without having to ask the community ever two years for a bond vote. Will I see a pay raise? Maybe, maybe not.

  2. As a parent of a school age child, I want to make sure that my son will continue to have quality education. I want to make sure that the money spent per student remains enough to make sure he will continue to get a high standard of services.

  3. As a resident of Wake County, I want to see a slow in the growth so that the infrastructure can handle an increased population. By infrastructure, I am referring to school, water, transportation, power, communications. As the population grows faster than the county and municipalities within the county build and upgrade, it creates additional stress on what, in some cases already is, and will inevitably be insufficient services.

  4. As a homeowner, slower growth will increase the value of my property. As a simple "supply and demand" relationship, as more land is developed and homes built, the supply of homes increases as does the population resulting in a slow increase in the value of already existing land and property. As a result, if growth and land development is slowed in the county then the value of my property will increase making it more lucrative to sell or giving me more equity in order to improve.

People are beginning to complain about the growth rate in Wake County. Not where you expect, like schools and roads, but in public pools. That's right pools. They are becoming too crowded as a result of the growth. I ask, where are the priorities of the people and government? Or am I the one who is behind the times? All along, I should have realized that it was not until leisure time activities are impacted that people will begin to complain. Forget important things such as education, transportation, focus on leisure. I guess a real impact won't be made until it interferes with stay-at-home moms' ability to get their latte in a timely manner.

No comments: