Thursday, August 30, 2007

August 30, 2007

Another good day at school today. Everything went smoothly, but of course it is really too early to tell how the semester will go. I am going to assume that it will go well considering I don't seem to have any "class clowns" who seek undue attention and distract the classes. I am, however, not looking forward to next week. I am supposed to have a student I had first semester last year and if my memory serves me, he came in a week late last year too. Which means, he will arrive into an EOC course and be a week behind when he can't afford to be. On top of that, he is the kind of student that can change the complexion of a class because of his charisma and attitude. And when I mean change the complexion of the class, I mean for the worse because he generally has a negative attitude. But we'll see. Many scenarios may play out, he may never show up and have transferred to another school, he may show up but choose to take the course seriously, he may show up and be his same self from last year. Any of these are possible.

Mercer and I went to a Carolina Mudcats baseball game tonight. He got free tickets in general admission. There aren't any bad seat in Five County Stadium out in Zebulon. Which is, even by Raleigh standards, red neck! Now, I don't mean this the wrong way, but to make a joke in the style of Jeff Foxworthy, "you might be a red neck if, you can not successfully keep up with the beat to 'We Will Rock You' by Queen." I mean seriously, how white do you have to be to mess that one up? Mercer and I also decided on a new Man Law today: "No man shall be allowed to wear a 'muscle T' unless they actually have muscles." It is a real simple concept, no muscles, no muscle T. End of story.

Today's Headlines:

Iceman Death Theory Shot Down
A student of mine informed me that they Iceman that was found in the Alps in 1991 now has a new theory into his death. This wouldn't sound like news except that we were talking about the Iceman yesterday and today an article is released that helps to support my argument - that history can change. That is to say, what we know about the past may change as new information is discovered. Originally it was believed that the Iceman died of natural causes, exposure to severe weather while trying to cross the Alps. Then, about a decade later, forensics showed that the Iceman was subject to some violence before he died and that his death was caused by an arrow would that struck him from behind, narrowly missing his heart. A new theory claims that although the Iceman suffered an arrow wound that would likely have proven fatal, it was not the actual cause of death, but instead was a head trauma caused by a fall after sustaining the injury.

No comments: