Wednesday, September 5, 2007

September 5, 2007

Today was an OK day. Not much really to mention at school, it was sort of business as usual. The only event worth mentioning is about an honors student in 4th period. With 10 minutes left to go in class, he went to the bathroom with my permission. He left with his bookbag, and I told him he was coming back. I should have been suspicious, he did not return. As I was walking up to the school a few minutes after class, I saw him walking out to the buses with a bottle of Pepsi from the vending machine. I can't wait to see how he explains this one, especially when he won't have his homework done since he was not in class to receive it. This is the same student who I noted on in my blog, Friday, August 31, had failed 8th grade social studies and is now in 9th grade honors social studies. His study habits and work ethic is now in question. I may yet suggest to guidance that he be switched into average World History.

Today's Headlines:

Audit: Curtail Wake Principals' Power (News and Observer)
On May 7, 2007, I mentioned that the county had paid for an independent audit of all the schools. At the time I did not know the purpose of the audit, now I do. The News and Observer published today the results of the audit. One of the audit's claims is that principals have too much independence and power. That this independence is actually resulting in great disparities between schools. The audit suggests that the county reign in the principals in order to create more equality between the schools. I wonder how the principals, who do enjoy a good deal of autonomy will like the closer scrutiny from county? I wonder how much of an impact this will have in the classroom and on how the principal handles his employees?

Nutcracker, Bushwhacker, Yankees Backer (US News and World Report)
Hold onto your seat! Here it is, the campaign toy that will win the election hands down. Be the first on the block to own the Hillary Clinton Nutcracker! See for yourself, this is not a gag, it is the real McCoy.

Purchase it here! (and even if you don't this is funny)

No comments: