Sunday, September 16, 2007

September 16, 2007


After breakfast with Jeff, Rae, Charlotte, and Jack, Evan and I went to the Caniac Carnival with Mercer. It wasn't all that exciting, well, for me. I think Evan was very excited going in, considering we were hoping to get our hands on some of the free tickets to today's preseason game against the Washington Capitals. Needless to say, the tickets were all long gone before we got there and Evan began to mope. Fortunately we were able to buy tickets for the opening day against the Montreal Canadians on October 3. So his mood greatly improved. We really didn't do too much, Evan enjoyed the bounce house and some face painting (Hurricanes logo). We also hit the Eye to buy a few things - Evan got a foam hand and a hockey puck, I got a hat. I priced the sweaters. I was prepared to drop about $100 on a sweater today, hoping for an authentic, not replica. Well, the replicas were $120 and the authentics were $250. I don't have a new sweater.

Today's Headlines:

O.J. Simpson arrested, faces multiple felony charges (USA Today)
I think this is the end of the road for OJ. For more than a decade the OJ Simpson saga has become comedic and now, it seems, OJ has hit rock bottom to attempt to steal his own memorabilia from a dealer. If he is convicted on the more serious offenses he can serve from 3 to 25 years. Maybe we can finally put the OJ saga to rest after all this. I do remember the day the verdict in the OJ Simpson murder trial was announced. I was a student teacher and the entire school stopped - everyone fixed on the radio report. Being a very diverse and ethnically balanced school, it was a very tense moment. But when the verdict was announced, there was a combination of cheers and jeers, on racial lines. Needless to say, there was a collective sigh of relief from the faculty. What is sad is that a verdict in a murder trial could result in such racial tension. I would hope that regardless of the race or ethnicity of the defendant that everyone would want justice done and that the right decision be made.


No comments: