Thursday, September 13, 2007

September 13, 2007

Following up on Monday's story of the student from Puerto Rico. I have some news. He chose to return to Puerto Rico to finish his senior of high school. I really don't know how to feel. On the one hand, I am sad because I saw how this decision would break his mother's heart and because he is a smart person who, unfortunately, was unable to show his full potential because of a language barrier. On the other hand, I am glad that he will be able to finish high school without the obstacle of language and in an environment that he is more comfortable in. But oddly enough, I am glad for another reason, for which I feel guilty, being an End-of-Course subject and a highly monitored and measured course, I am glad he is no longer in the class because he can no longer bring my scores down. I know, that is a horrible thing to say and I hate that such thought come to mind, however, in this day of high stakes testing and No Child Left Behind, every advantage a teacher can get to raise their scores is a welcome one. But this heavy emphasis on tests promotes the institutionalization of public schools making them less personal and more industrial. Instead of producing people who can manage in today's society, we are producing statistics and data. It is painfully obvious to many teachers that NCLB is not good legislation. The tough nut here is how do you say in Congress that I oppose NCLB, legislation geared at improving public education without losing votes at the next election? Too many voters will not see through the rhetoric and glittering generalities to see that legislation to improve public schools is a good idea, but the way NCLB does it is not good at all.

So, let me make myself perfectly clear, improving schools is a great idea. In fact, in education, any chance a teacher has to improve upon what she is already doing is a great opportunity. The National Board Certification process helped me to realize the value of reflection and self-criticism. Day after day I look back at what I did in a given period and mentally critique myself. I want to know and remember how a particular lesson went. Was it a success? Was it a failure? Could it have been better? And then I make sure to write down in my plan book why and how. In my opinion, that is a sign of a good teacher.

-MC

No comments: