Friday, May 18, 2007

May 18, 2007

Michelle has returned to Maine. The outlook is bleak but Michelle is there not so much for her mom who needs to be made comfortable, but for her dad and sister who need support. Hospice will be coming to the house, and a hospital bed has been rented. On Tuesday, the Radiation Oncologist said that radiation would not do any good, at this point, they are out of options for treatment. She should be taken home, made comfortable where the amount of sleep will increase until she won't wake up. How long will the process take? A doctor can never be totally sure, but the are suggesting somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-2 weeks. At this point it is a waiting game, and that is the hardest game of all. Fortunately, my mom has agreed to come and stay with Evan and I until my school year is over - 3 more weeks. With regard to my schoolwork, it will be a tremendous help to have her here. It isn't that I can not take care of Evan, the problem is mostly about taking him to school in the morning as well as my having enough time to take care of school work.

Today was another rather average day at school. The excitment was "Awards Day." There is an awards assembly which the entire school can watch on TV and there are a few awards that teachers give in class. The kids like it.

Everywhere I went to day I was asked about my foot. I am using a crutch to walk so that I can keep wait off of my bunion so it can heal. But the crutch is a the equivalent to wearing a neon sign that says "Ask me 'what happened?'" The concern seems genuine enough, but if I had a dime for everytime I heard that question today, I could fill my van up with gas! ($3.00/gal, how absurd?!?!)

We were scheduled to see my brother and his family after dinner today, but instead he called and invited us to their regular Friday dinner with his wife's parents. Which was very nice, and the time was right - early! What was also very nice was the Katie's mom paid for dinner for both Evan and I. Very generous, thank you!

No comments: