Tuesday, May 6, 2008

May 6, 2008 - Primary Day

I know I wanted to start posting more, but I get so busy with actually living my life that I don't have too much time to write about it, although April was a better month for posting than it had been for a while. Well, May is here and the weather is awesome. My parents were here this past weekend for Brendan's birthday party. It is hard to believe that he is five! What is also harder to believe is the Lightning McQueen balloon from his birthday party last year is still floating in Peter & Katie's dining room. I have never known a balloon to have a 1st birthday!

School is starting to wind down which means the pressure starts to heat up. Many students know that they have to really turn it on to do better but continue to struggle with the temptation to enjoy the nice weather too much. That is, the weather is infectious, the students can think of nothing more than leisure, summer break, hanging out, and definitely not school work. Any struggle I fought earlier this semester was just the warm up to the antics I am going to have to control for the next several weeks. On the other hand, I am determined to do a better job of handling it this year than last. Last year (May 14th to be precise) I allowed my passion to get the best of me and I said something to the class I should not, and I was called out for it (see post May 16, 2007). I know that I am just as passionate, but the bad taste of that event lingers on my tongue, and probably always will. As with most lessons I have learned the hard way at work, I will let students fail before I risk my reputation and credibility to try and motivate them. If there is one lesson I learned it is to not put my career on the line for the sake of my job. That is, I will not say or do anything, regardless of the degree of passion, that will cause me to be called into the Principal's office again. Sounds weird but I learned that the only person truly looking out for me, is me. And if that means allowing students to fall through the cracks, then so be it. I don't want to do that, but I cannot allow myself to get angry or even upset, I must persevere and let the chips fall where they may. Not the attitude you want from a teacher, but what can I say, I have 17 more years at this job, I want to keep it as an option.

Today was the primary election in North Carolina. It has been a long time since the NC primary actually meant something to presidential hopefuls. Since our primary is so late, by this time both parties have usually eliminated all competitors save the one nominee. But this year, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are running close enough where every delegate counts, and it is likely that the Democrat candidate will be decided by the so-called "Super Delegates." (see NPR.org for the low-down on delegate counts, Super Delegate counts, and results state-by-state for both Democrats and Republicans). Evan came with me to the poll today. It is his second election, we voted in 2006. Although there were no Kids Voting ballots for the primary, I allowed Evan to bubble in my sheet for me, the way I told him to. He even put the ballot in the ballot box, he was very excited and proud to wear his "I Voted" sticker for the rest of the day.

Today, Republican hopeful, John McCain came down on Senator Obama for voting against the appointment of Chief Justice John Roberts. To me it sounds like McCain is courting the Court, just in case he needs them to decide the election like Bush in 2000.

No comments: