Wednesday, May 21, 2008

May 21, 2008 - Stress

This is supposed to be a good week as a Senior Class advisor: Senior Assembly rehersal Thursday (miss 2nd period), Senior Assembly and Senior Picnic Friday (miss ALL day), Memorial Day weekend. Why is there more stress for me this week than almost any other? My 2nd period, that is why. After a couple of instances, especially last Friday's Awards Day Assembly, they have proven to me that they have the potential to be a behavior problem. What is more, I have to create lesson plans for this class, for two days, in such a way that they are busy for the duration.

On top of that, I still have to finalize the Senior gift of a dozen full size (>20') flagpoles to line the fence of the football stadium and have also discovered that the task has just become more difficult. Because the price is more than $2500 I have to have at least three estimates for it to be considered a legitimate bid for the job. I also have to find out about the flags themselves: what size? what design? what colors? Once I have all the orders ready, Dr. Gainey said he would take over from there since there is all kinds of paper work involved in such a large purchase.

In addition, Evan's birthday party is in a week. We still have to make and mail the invitations, I have to get the yard in order, including clearing debris from the trees, removing leaves, adding mulch, mowing the yard, moving a playset over from the neighbor's yard. I also think I have found termites in the yard so I need to get an exterminator out to take a look. I must also resign myself to the fact that the deck is not going to be complete - still no lighting, no electrical, no rails on the stairs (to go along with no permit, and no inspection), but I still need to get it washed and treated. The toilet in the hallway bathroom has been leaking for two years now. Although it is now leaking into the toilet causing it to fill periodically, I mean it is leaking from the tank bolts and onto the floor. It isn't a fast leak, but it is enough to cause rust on the back of the bowl and it is beginning to annoy me. A month or so ago I began the process of painting the kitchen ceiling. I got as far as preparing the ceiling inside the skylight and replacing the molding there, but that is it. The thresholds in the office still need to be completed and I would also like to paint and hang all the doors in the office as well, which includes buying a new door for a portal that did not have one before.

All of this with the end of the school year playing in the background - now that is the most stressful music of them all!

No comments: