Sunday, April 13, 2008

April 13, 2008 - Do It Yourself

I spent a good part of the Saturday putting together furniture for the new office. I was somewhat excited to do ti and get it done. The first piece went smooth as silk, the second - defective. This is now the second piece, out of five, that I received for my office that was defective. In addition, each package contains enough waste to fill half a landfill! With all the styrofoam and cardboard in the packages I have to take it out to the trash over several weeks because it won't all fit into our garbage container. Ah, the benefits of building it yourself. But all that packaging is important so that is does not get damaged on the long trip from China. Without it, all the pieces will be damaged, instead of just my 40%. What ever happened to the days of things being made right here in the United States? And what ever happened to receiving them already assembled?

My frustration was the icing on the cake. I wasn't really in the mood yesterday to go to the prom. But by the time I finished being frustrated with the second piece of furniture, it was already after 7:30pm and the prom began at 7. Sure I could have still made it, but I was hungry, needed a shower and a shave, and my blazer is dirty. So at that point, I opted not to go even though it was the prom for the class I have been the advisor for the last four years. Michelle warned me about making a decision I may later regret. The way I see it is that the students will be far more interested in seeing each other than their advisors and teachers. I don't remember which teachers were at my prom. I don't even know who my class advisor was when I was in high school. Besides, I would have felt a bit weird taking pictures of the officers of the senior class (who I have worked most closely with the last 4 years) just so I could remember them. Creepy.

No comments: