Saturday, October 20, 2007

October 20, 2007

It has been a busy week. Wednesday was a LONG day that ended at the state fair. We didn't get home until near 11pm. Whew! It was fun but frustrating to get home so late. In fact, I was kind of scrambling for lesson plans Thursday morning - this is where years of experience comes in handy!

Evan on a car ride.

Evan and Aidan on the "Dragon Wagon", a kid size roller coaster. The grown ups were too big to ride so the kids did it all by themselves. I was pleasantly surprised Evan did the ride!

Just a little ride on what looked and sounded like jetskis. Not very exciting, unless you are 4 or 6, I guess.

Bumper Boats! That was fun

Saturday Evan had another soccer game. It was the first one the team didn't win, but they did tie 1-1. Evan was closer than ever to scoring, but missed the chance again! He was less than 5 feet from the front of the goal when the ball bounced off both his feet before he had a chance to turn and shoot. The goalie picked up the ball.

Starting out on Offense.


Getting a break on the sideline.

Ian taking a corner kick.

Today's Headlines:


AP: Sexual misconduct plagues US schools (Yahoo!News)
As a teacher, I understand that I have been entrusted with a very serious and important task, to create a safe and comfortable environment for the students that enter my room everyday. Likewise, as a parent, when I send my child to school, I want to feel comfortable knowing that my child is in a safe place and that the teachers and faculty there will do whatever they can to protect my son. But when I hear about cases about sexual abuse or misconduct by teachers, I am appalled.


Officials: Teacher's Problems Bigger Than Anti-Islam Speaker in Class (wral.com)
As a public school teacher, I also understand that I have a responsibility to teach the state mandated curriculum and to be as objective as possible. I know that total objectivity is not possible, any time a person speaks they speak from a certain point of view that may not even be evident to the speaker. But what is most important is that any public school teacher should do their best to try and be aware of this potential and carefully monitor what they say, even plan their words, if necessary. At no time is it a public school teacher's job to preach any religion or speak out against any religion. This is an implication of the First Amendment. As a person who works for an agency of the government, while in my capacity as a public servant, I cannot advocate for any particular religion, defame any religion, or even avocate for or against an individual's right to choose not to follow a religion. When I hear that a teacher deliberately teaches about things that are not in their curriculum and especially violates the law or mandates, I cannot not support that teacher. When a person takes a job they should understand the limits imposed and restrictions that are in place. If they do not believe that they can conform to those rules, then they should find a different line of work. The curriculum, mandates, and restriction are created by people who were chosen by voters to do what they believe is in the best interest of the children in the schools as a whole. The classroom is not the place to protest these limits, and is definitely not the place to challenge them. Such action should be saved for school board meetings and elections.


Regarding Privacy.
Normally, I am an advocate for the Fourth Amendment and privacy. I am also an advocate for the First Amendment which includes protection from slander and libel. But when the two come onto conflict, I am in conflict on the issue. Apparently, the teacher involved has been misrepresenting the events surrounding his case. In response, to protect itself in the court of public opinion, the county released several document resutling from investigations into the teacher's actions. In this regard, I am leaning towards the school district's release of the documents over the privacy of the defendant.

No comments: