Monday, January 21, 2008

January 21, 2008

And away we go. Tomorrow begins the second semester - same curriculum, new students. You would think that which students I teach should not make much difference, but that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, the difference of just one student can change the complexion of an entire class and create an entirely different experience. Since I do not know the students coming to me, I have no idea if I have any of these students. Ones that can change the entire mood of a class and sour the experience, no just for me, but for everyone. Not only can it change the experience, it can have a profound impact on the final results. A student that has to continually be reprimanded or quieted, or dealt with due to tardies can disrupt the flow of the class and distract students sufficiently to the point of information loss. I think that is the main reason why teachers have anxiety when getting a new class (either at the beginning of the school year or change of semester). I will just have to wait and see who shows up and how I deal with it.

Michelle and Evan return from San Francisco tonight, late. They will arriving at about midnight from JFK after an hours long flight from San Fran and an hours long layover at JFK. They will be exhausted and Michelle will have to work tomorrow. She will essentially be losing 3 hours of sleep due to jet lag. We aren't sure where Evan will be tomorrow. Actually, Michelle probably has a pretty good idea where Evan will end up tomorrow, I on the other hand am not yet privy to that information. I guess I will find out tonight or tomorrow when I call Michelle from work at the end of the day.

Yesterday I caught a couple of cool pictures. As the ice and snow began to melt, there was a car with an interesting melting pattern on its hood. I can't explain it other than I think it has something to do with the support underneath the hood of the car.


No comments: