Thursday, December 13, 2007

December 13, 2007

I really needed that day off on Monday! In retrospect, I was really getting maxed and didn't notice. It is amazing what that day off did for my patience. Whew.

Something really interesting and good happened yesterday. I was in the mail room with the math department chairperson. I have been meaning to send her an email to complement her department's efforts to help the students remember their important formulae for the End-of-Course exams - construction paper posters posted around the building and "Math Woman" roving the buildings and stopping students to rewards them if they knew the answer to her question. When we walked out of the mail room, Dr. Gainey, the building principal, wanted to speak with her. But before I walked off and their their conversation began, the math department chair turned to me, in front of the principal mind you, and said that she suggested her student teacher come and observe me teaching my class! Ha! That's right. The math department chair, whom the principal highly respects, thought that her student teacher would benefit from seeing me in action AND the principal was their to hear it! It doesn't get much better than that as far as timely complements go, especially after the debacle towards the end of last semester being called out on the carpet by the principal.

It seems that my tool for enforcing behavior in my Civics and Economics class is working. The students are being more respectful of each other and more mindful of what they say and when they say it. The tool is simple. No it isn't a paddle, it is a self-evaluation of Character Education. Wake County Schools emphasizes character education from Kindergarten all the way through high school. By the time the students reach 10th grade, they should be well aware of the character traits emphasized by WCPSS - courage, respect, perseverance, good judgement, honesty, integrity, kindness, responsibility, and self-discipline. At the end of each period they simply write down a number (0-4) and score themselves based on the criteria outlined on their "daily sheet." I go over each student's sheet, adjust their grades if necessary, and distribute the sheets the next day. Not only is this 10% of the student's grade for the course, but it is also evidence of student conduct in the classroom to be used during a parent conference, if necessary. I came up with the idea about 10 years ago and now I use it only in classes that need the extra motivation to cooperate. I adapted a similar tool used in foreign language classes that the teachers there use to have students evaluate themselves on their use of the foreign language in the class. And now, several teacher use this "Character Education" model to enforce rules in their classes - it seems every once in a while I have a good idea.

No comments: